Venice, Louisiana is known for its abundant yellowfin tuna fishing, with captains and crews using advanced tactics and techniques. Capt. Josh Howard utilizes trawl boat by-catch to create a healthy chum slick, while In The Spread fishing video teaches ideal baits, chumming, and chunking. Fishing in the Gulf of Mexico relies on working fixed or mobile fish aggregators, making trowl boats an excellent fishing opportunity.
Tuna Fishing - Chunking and Chumming Yellowfin(02:10:57)
- Location: Gulf of Mexico, south of Louisiana, especially Venice.
- Unique Feature: Oil platforms and the Green Water Phenomenon.
- Key Species: Yellowfin tuna as the prime attraction.
- Expert Insights: Collaboration with Capt. Josh Howard.
- Focus: Tactics and strategies for chunking and chumming yellowfin tuna using dead baits.
- Distinctive Approach: Dependence on fixed or mobile bait fish aggregators instead of bird activity.
- Content: Comprehensive video tutorial on catching yellowfin tuna.
The Gulf of Mexico, especially south of Louisiana, boasts a unique blend of elements that make it a haven for offshore fishing. One of the most striking features any angler would recall are the oil platforms scattered across the waters. But, there's more to the story than just these man-made structures.
The Mississippi River, with its enormous freshwater outflow, paints a large swathe of the Gulf's waters green. This green water, a result of freshwater mixing with saltwater, is nutrient-dense. It provides a fertile ground for the growth of a dynamic food chain, eventually supporting a thriving bait fish population.
Combine the nutrient-rich waters with the Gulf's natural underwater topography and the additional artificial structures from the oil platforms. What do you get? An incredible hotspot for a plethora of marine species: from the explosive tuna, marlin, and swordfish to the snapper, amberjack, and wahoo. Yet, among all these, the yellowfin tuna stands out as a prime attraction. Venice, Louisiana, in particular, has become synonymous with yellowfin tuna fishing, drawing countless enthusiasts to its shores.
In The Spread, a renowned fishing instructional platform, collaborates with Capt. Josh Howard in Venice, Louisiana. Their mission? To uncover the tactics and strategies for chunking and chumming yellowfin tuna using dead baits, especially during the fall season.
Venice is hailed as North America's premier yellowfin tuna fishery. Every trip here is a treasure trove of learning experiences. Capt. Josh, a seasoned angler who has fished these waters for years, simplifies the complex art of fishing. His methods, while straightforward, are exceptionally effective.
He unveils how, with the right chumming technique, one can effectively become the primary food source for yellowfin tuna. This comprehensive guide delves into:
- The best bait selections
- Baiting strategies
- Proper chumming and chunking techniques
- Avoiding unwanted species like smaller tunas and sharks
- Optimal tackle choices
- And much more!
The allure of trawlers isn't just the bait they discard. Savvy fishermen know to procure by-catch from these vessels, which, along with other frozen baits, can be used to set up a tempting slick to attract fish.
Capt. Josh Howard delves deep into:
- The mechanics of bait presentation
- Reel settings and hook-setting techniques
- Chumming strategies
- Methods to keep tuna active near the boat
- How to selectively feed specific yellowfin tuna
Enhance Your Skills
The guide also sheds light on:
- Optimal conditions for fishing
- Effective fighting techniques
- Choice of gaffs and tackle
- Impact of the moon on fishing patterns
- Best tackle choices for different seasons
- Line options: braid, mono, and fluorocarbon
A: The Mississippi River's freshwater outflow mixes with the saltwater, leading to the Green Water Phenomenon which paints a large portion of the Gulf's waters green.
A: Venice has become synonymous with yellowfin tuna fishing and is considered North America's premier yellowfin tuna fishery.
A: Capt. Josh Howard is a seasoned angler who has collaborated with the fishing instructional platform, In The Spread, to share tactics and strategies for chunking and chumming yellowfin tuna.
A: In Venice, fishing strategies rely more on fixed or mobile bait fish aggregators like oil platforms or trawl boats rather than bird activity.
How to Catch Yellowfin Tuna
Captain Josh Howard, owner of Deep South Charters, has a passion for fishing since he was ten. He has caught two state record fish, including a Greater Amberjack and Bearded Brotula. Howard's personal record for yellowfin tuna is 200 pounds, and he is determined to break the 200-pound mark for the tuna. His dedication to the sport and his love for the ocean make him a true fishing legend.Read more