Captain William Toney shares tips and techniques for catching redfish, including pinfish, shrimp, and mud minnows. He teaches trapping, bait selection, and using a subsurface buoy to prevent theft. Toney demonstrates making rigs, hook placement, and modifying pinfish for scent or vibration.
Redfish - Best Live Bait with William Toney(00:51:42)
Redfish Live Bait Options by Region
The options for redfish live bait vary by region. However, within each region, there are specific baits that are highly effective for catching reds. As you traverse the Gulf coast from Texas, around Florida, and up to the Carolinas, the ocean environment and bait fish change.
In this In The Spread fishing video, our focus is on the area north of Tampa up to St. Marks in the panhandle. The inshore fishing, especially redfish fishing, along this Gulf coast stretch is incredibly productive. Most of the fishing happens around mangroves and outside keys. A notable fisherman we've collaborated with is Capt. William Toney of Homosassa Inshore Fishing.
We've filmed numerous redfish videos with William. His approach simplifies the art of catching redfish. His teaching style instills confidence. By adopting his tactics and techniques, you'll feel empowered on the water. Redfish live bait fishing is arguably the most effective method. Redfish find it hard to resist a tempting live bait. This video will delve into the best live baits, how to obtain them, and the optimal live bait rig for redfish.
- Best Bait for the Region: Live pinfish, live shrimp, and live mud minnows.
- Procuring Bait: Learn to catch bait using traps, hook, and line. We also discuss buying bait and highlight a local supplier.
- Pro Tip: Catch bait where you fish. It ensures you're using what redfish are naturally eating.
- Focus: While threadfin herring and cigar minnows are popular in other areas, this video emphasizes pinfish, shrimp, and mud minnows, especially pinfish.
- Rigging: Detailed insights into creating the perfect live bait rig for redfish using each of the three baits.
Using a trap is an efficient method. However, beware of bait thieves. William shares tactics for discreet buoy placement and sinking them, ensuring only you can locate them later. He also covers bait choices for your trap and optimal placement. Quick tip: Pinfish inhabit specific areas, so ensure you're in their territory.
- Live Shrimp: Easily available and simple to store. Keep them in a shaded bucket or between damp newsprint in a cooler.
- Mud Minnows: Hardy and effective. They might be trickier to catch than pinfish but are abundant if you know where to look.
Rigging Insights with William Toney
William walks you through each rigging method. For shrimp, he demonstrates both head and tail rigs. For pinfish, he covers back hooking and nose hooking, emphasizing correct hook placement. Mud minnow rigging mirrors pinfish back rigging.
Conclusion: If you're keen on mastering redfish live bait rigs, Capt. William Toney offers invaluable insights. As one of Florida's top inshore fishing guides, his expertise on redfish is unmatched. We hope our videos bolster your confidence and enhance your catch rate. Keep learning and fish smarter!
Redfish Fishing Videos
User ReviewsThere are no reviews yet.
Captain William Toney
Captain William Toney, a Homosassa, Florida native, is a revered fourth-generation fishing guide who blends ancestral wisdom with modern techniques to deliver unparalleled fishing experiences. As the owner and operator of Homosassa Inshore Fishing, his expertise spans a wide variety of fish species such as Red Fish, Sea Trout, Mangrove Snapper and Snook, among others. His customized 23' Tremblay Flats Boat, powered by Mercury Outboards, is a testament to his commitment to providing top-notch fishing experiences.Read more