This video by Cory Allen teaches how to use non-typical baits for vertical jigging, triggering more bites from neutral or inactive musky. He presents five exceptional muskie lures, including the H2O Tackle Barbarian, HardHead, EchoTail, Molix Spoon, and safety pin spinner bait. By using these baits, you can feel the depth and behavior at depth, making them lethal tools for musky fisherman. By expanding your arsenal, you can explore deep water and catch more musky.
Muskie - Jigging Lures with Cory Allen(00:23:49)
Lure Demonstrations: Real-world performance of various lures.
Musky Jigging Lures: Beyond the Obvious
In The Spread fishing instructor Cory Allen is renowned for his out-of-the-box thinking when it comes to musky fishing. He possesses deep insights about what muskie are doing in a given body of water throughout the year and why. Listening to him and watching his techniques will open up new frontiers in musky fishing.
The musky jigging lures Cory Allen discusses in his fishing video might surprise you. They're not your typical jigging lures. Each lure he breaks down has unique characteristics that outperform their stated use. For instance, consider the line tie point on a lure and its impact on performance. Cory's philosophy? If it sinks, you can jig it. The lures he's chosen offer more control for various sub-surface constructs, from exploring timbers to targeting neutral fish or break lines.
The musky jigging lures presented are diverse in their design and function:
- H2O Tackle's Barbarian: An outstanding casting and trolling lure. It's essentially a giant rattle trap with neutral buoyancy. Its slow fall and adjustable weight make it versatile and effective.
- Phantom Baits' Hardhead: Designed as a bulldog analog, it's more than just a cast and retrieve lure. Its jigging action and rocking motion on descent can trigger many bites.
- Vibrations Tackle's Echotail: This jigging lure stands out with its variety of rubber tails. The serrated tail section allows for quick swaps without compromising performance.
- Molix Spoon by Mike Iaconelli: Adapted from bass fishing, its fluttering fall is perfect for inactive fish. Its erratic fall requires a slack line for best results.
- Safety Pin Spinner Bait: Versatile and lethal for jigging. Its helicopter action is most effective with unpainted blades, as paint can hinder the desired motion.
The more you vertical jig, the more attuned you become to your baits. When fishing deep, you'll gain a heightened sensitivity to your bait's movements. Remember, when choosing musky jigging lures, don't be limited by labels. You dictate the bait's function, not the other way around. Expand your thinking and get more out of your lures.
- What is it? An outstanding casting and trolling lure.
- Special Feature: Slow fall through the water column with a nifty weight screw addition.
Phantom Baits' Hardhead
- What is it? A drop belly shad design meant to be a bulldog analog.
- Usage: Great action when jigged, especially the rocking motion on descent.
Vibrations Tackle's Echotail
- What is it? A superb jigging lure.
- Special Feature: Volume of different rubber tails that can be quickly swapped.
Molix Spoon by Mike Iaconelli
- What is it? A spoon with a perfect flutter on the fall.
- Usage: Adapted from bass fishing, great for inactive fish.
Large Safety Pin Spinner Bait
- What is it? A versatile and lethal jigging tool.
- Special Feature: Helicopter action, especially effective on the fall of the lure.
The more you vertical jig, the more feel you get for what your baits are doing. Remember, when looking for musky jigging lures, don't just look for baits that say vertical jigging on the box. Get more out of lures by opening your thinking.
Learn Muskie Fishing Tactics
User ReviewsThere are no reviews yet.
Cory Allen, known as the Tennessee Muskie Authority, has years of expertise in muskie fishing. He is a skilled guide in the Tennessee River drainage basin, specializing in understanding muskellunge behavior and environmental conditions. Allen's dedication to his craft and continuous learning make him a valuable resource for both seasoned and novice anglers.Read more